Auto shipping should be a straightforward and simple process. Unfortunately, the reality of today’s car transport landscape indicates that it is not. Consumers need to arm themselves with the tools necessary to protect against scams and unprofessional companies and carriers that may steal, lose or damage your vehicle. Here are some simple guidelines to assist with finding the right auto transport company to get your vehicle shipped to its destination safely.
Who Is Really Shipping Your Vehicle?
- When auto shipping nationwide, it is important to note that all free shipping quotes received are from brokers. There are no carriers large enough to maintain a staff and trucks to transport vehicles all over the nation from any starting point at any given time. That means that every auto transport company will have to outsource their drivers. Do not be fooled by companies representing themselves as carriers if they promise to ship your vehicle nationwide.
In communicating with brokers, those looking for auto transport should select only those brokers and companies who represent themselves (and the market) honestly. Every broker and carrier will use a National Load Board System to list vehicles available for pickup and select vehicles for pickup respectively. Many brokers maintain a network of reliable carriers whose routes and reliability they are familiar with.
Look For Honest Brokers…
- As brokers list vehicles available for pickup, carriers select vehicles. The first method of selection is price. Carriers are looking to pick up the highest paying vehicles first. Once that has been met location and convenience to the driver comes into play. For example, if a carrier has one open spot left on a truck and there is a vehicle available for pickup within 5 miles that is paying less than a vehicle that is 25 miles away, the carrier may be inclined to choose the more convenient pickup in this case. Again, please note that you should only do business with brokers who discuss this system and are honest about the process. Websites such as BBB.org (Better Business Bureau) and www.TransportReviews.com can be extremely helpful in determining the legitimacy of a company. Brokers should only provide you with carriers who are Bonded, Licensed and Insured. The car transport reviews listed on www.TransportReviews.com are usually quite accurate and can provide you with more than enough information to choose a trustworthy broker. The auto transport business is unregulated which basically facilitates to serve those who would look to rob or scam unsuspecting customers again and again.
A good broker will screen carriers (or keep a running network) to insure licensing, insurance and a good safety record. Driver quotes can change daily but usually they are based on car size, location and the beginning and end destinations.
Lowest Is Not Always Best…
- Those looking for auto transport would take care not to jump at the lowest quotes. Some brokers provide unrealistically low auto transport quotes that may ultimately end up as an attempt to get more money of the car owners. Do not fall for this! Look for honest brokers offering reasonable mid-range quotes to ensure that your vehicle will be picked up in a timely fashion and delivered on time. It is important to note that if a quote is tragically low it could result the car never being shipped at that price.
Tips To Lower Costs
- Once finding a reputable auto shipping company, it is highly recommended that owners deliver their vehicles with less than a quarter tank of gas to help with weight requirements. Also, owners should take precautions as not weigh their vehicle down with an exorbitant amount of personal belongings. The less each vehicle weighs on the truck; they better fuel economy for carriers who will be transporting your vehicle across the country. In some cases, trucks can even receive fines for being caught overweight.
Be Upfront About Expectations
- Lastly, those looking for auto transport should be realistic with themselves and their potential brokers on what their key factors are. Maybe you have a price range, a schedule to keep or both. These nuggets of information can be extremely helpful for brokers when looking to provide your auto transport quote.
Don’t Just Give Your Information To Anyone
- Auto shipping can be overwhelming to navigate at times. There are seemingly endless companies that attempt to win your business once you begin searching online. Be wary of the websites offering many free car transport quotes. This will open up your email (and/or cellphone) to a litany of companies that will make relentless efforts to get in contact with you in order to secure your business. While finding the perfect auto shipping company can appear to be tricky, it can go very smoothly if these simple guidelines are followed. Do your research, know your needs and wants and go with a company that you feel you can trust. These are the keys to having your vehicle delivered to its destination safely and on time.